Provided time and tools, there are neat guides around to make Volca stands, I’ve followed one of them and made the following (with help to avoid losing fingers):
Some random tips I learned in the process:
- use massif wood (it’s harder to work with but nicer),
- once cut, correct imperfection with wood paste,
- sand down all edges with a medium sandpaper like 80,
- drill with a small borer before screwing, it’s easier and prevents mishaps: directly screwing induces more vibrations and constraints, it increases the chances of breaking the piece (I broke multiple ones!),
- add multiple layers of lasure, beware it has some thickness and play with it so that you get an inner width that perfectly fits the Volca.